Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The World is Coming to an End!!!


Work has been canceled for the last three and a half days, church was canceled last Sunday, Stake Conference has been canceled for this coming Sunday (by the Quorum of the Twelve, no less!), schools are closed for the week, it is 15 degrees outside—with the windchill, minus 5! There is over THREE FEET of snow outside right now!

Nearly the entire Washington DC metro area is completely shut down! Airports are canceling flights (sorry Shelli and Lige), stores are closed, trees and branches are falling down, and people are hunkering down for what has become DC's snowiest winter in recorded history!

This all began last Friday when a few flakes began falling at bout 10:00 am. Those few flakes invited their friends to come along, and by Saturday night there was 27 inches of snow on the ground! Sunday was nice and sunny, and people everywhere spent the day digging themselves out of a tremendously snowy mess.

Monday was sunny as well, although temps were hovering around the freezing mark, meaning all this snow was staying put! The roads were still covered with packed snow, and plows were busy all day.

Tuesday became overcast once again. Many of the streets were covered with a six inch layer of packed ice and snow, and come Tuesday evening, the flakes began to fall once more. It snowed all night long and this morning, those little flakes decided to invite their friend Mr. Wind to come and play.

This brings us to Wednesday afternoon. The snow is still falling, the wind is still blowing, and if things keep up, we might consider moving someplace just a little warmer! I'm thinking Anchorage, Alaska!








To sum it up, it's cold out there!

10 comments:

Maybury said...

I love it! Love the pics. It reminds me a lot of Logan.

Heather Wells said...

Kaden wants to know where your snowman is... He says you could make killer snowman with all that snow. What a way to welcome you guys there for your first winter.

sheila said...

that's just crazy talk. I can't believe all that snow. I wish we could blow some pacific warmth your way.

Elizabeth said...

There is a rebuttal coming...we've just got to get the camera out. No, we did not have 27 inches at once. That is amazing. We have hit a warm spell, it is 34 degrees out and is 5:30 pm. The natives are getting restless because it is so warm. So, you should come to Anchorage!

Chad said...

Nice post! I was hoping you guys would put up some pics of the snow up there. Looks like fun...for a few minutes at least. Then it's time to head in for some hot chocolate. Why don't you guys just come down here where it's warmer?

Amy said...

So I found out that Stake Conference was suppose to be a televised joint Conf with half the east coast. At least you guys get to have a free day, we have regular mtgs sunday.
I agree with Chad you need to come down here where it is warmer (at least a little warmer I think our high for today is 42)

Analee said...

Man, snow sucks! I'm very grateful we haven't gotten that much. But I have to agree with Kaden. You could make one killer snowman!

Rachel said...

You have us beat on the snowfall. We probably only have 18 inches outside in the field right now. However, it's been there for the last month! At least you have the comfort of knowing it will melt soon, Panguitch doesn't defrost until May!

Unknown said...

Looks like you are getting all of the Snow Jackson wants. Do you have your snowboards out there?

Enjoy!

Josh said...

Al Gore is RIGHT about global warming! I knew it!

wait.....just....a....second.......