Saturday, October 17, 2009

Max is Done - Day 6

We woke up early this morning and headed out late once again! We didn't leave the hotel in LaPlace 'till about 11:30. We drove down I-10, past Lake Pontchartrain, and into the Big Easy!

New Orleans from what I saw, seems like a big city that is confined to a small area. Because it is bordered on the north by a big huge lake, split in two by a big huge river (the Mississippi), and surrounded on the south and sides by big huge swamps and marshes, there isn't much room for anything else. Thus, all of the buildings are really, really close together and the streets are insanely narrow!

How anyone ever even found this place and decided to settle a city here is beyond me! I'm sure it had to have been by boat, as I think the entire city is surrounded by water in some form or another (lake, swamp, etc). We got off the freeway near the Superdome, and drove through downtown and into the French Quarter. We drove down Bourbon Street. From our vantage point in the comfort of our car we experienced as much of New Orleans as we cared to. We passed hundreds of people crowding the sidewalks and streets. We passed small curio shops, gift shops, cigar shops, bars, and strip clubs galore.

Even during a non-busy time of year, the city certaintly lived up to it's reputation. I can't even imagine what it must be like during Mardi Gras! It was cool to see the city and Bourbon Street, but looking at it through our windshield was enough for us! We headed back to the interstate as quickly as we could!

The rest of the day was less than exciting. It was spent driving, driving, driving, and taking care of a hungry baby and a sick, extremely fussy two-year old! Max has been battling a cold all week. He has had a slight fever that comes and goes, and a cough and runny nose that really only came around every now and then. Today was Max's breaking point! Having dealt with this all week, he seems to have had enough. From the time we left the hotel this morning to the time we checked in to our hotel in Newnan, Georgia, he has done nothing but fuss, cry, and whine!

This of course, does nothing to help his cold, and he has been coughing nonstop, and his nose has been running like a leaky faucett all day! Needless to say, today has been a little rough. I guess we shouldn't complain though, because all of the other days, Max has been a pretty good little trooper.

Other highlights from today included passing through four states! Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama are now all behind us and we are about 45 miles into Georgia! Oh, and Georgia is FREEZING! Ever since we left San Antonio, the temperature has steadily decreased at every place we stop. I'm not looking forward to the weather in Virginia right now. I guess the temperature for Atlanta right now is almost 20 degrees below normal! Luckily, we did pack warmer clothes so we should be in good shape, but I kind of miss the wamer weather back in Utah, Arizona, and Texas.

This was the view out our hotel window in LaPlace, Louisiana.

New Orleans

The one and only Bourbon Street!

3 comments:

Maybury said...

I have loved your daily updates. Thanks for the great pics. I think you should've snapped a photo of the bugs on the grill and Shayla covered in milk. It is sad to think you guys are so so very far away now. I am glad everyone is doing well in the car. By the time you get to VA you will never want to sit in the truck for more than 4 minutes at a time. Good Luck. I hope you don't have many more days of this.

belliesue said...

I bet your kids have just about had it! It's fun to hear the details and ins and outs of your travels! Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Adam and Robyn said...

I am loving your daily travel logs. I get on each morning to see the newest adventures of the Wells Family. I think it is awesome that you are trekking across the states. What an experience you are having and what awesome memories you are making. I'm so glad the kids are doing good and hopefully Max will start to feel better. Hang in there and thanks for keeping us posted-it's alot of fun:)