| Max in April 2009 (two-years-old). His left eye is tucked in toward his nose, while his right eye looks forward. |
| Max in April 2011 (four-years-old). |
| Max with an eye patch, June 2011. |
When Max's doctor felt his vision had improved enough, she talked to us about surgery. Sometimes, strabismus can be treated with an eye patch or atropine drops, but Max's was severe enough that only the amblyopia had diminished, and there had been little effect on the strabismus. She suggested that surgery was the most effective option for Max at this point. She walked us through the procedure, explaining that the eye muscles attached to Max's eyes would be severed and reattached in different places, which will allow his eyes to track together in harmony. The surgery has an 80% success rate, something that we were obviously concerned about, but ultimately felt comfortable moving ahead with.
Something that we didn't expect through all of this, was learning how common strabismus is in young children. There is another young girl in our ward with it, who has been patching and has just moved on to the atropine drops as well. Our neighbor's daughter had multiple eye surgeries to correct hers, and another neighbor wore patches as a child. One of my coworkers also wore eye patches as a child. Max's doctor performs eye surgeries to correct strabismus (along with other ailments) in children every Friday. We were comforted to know that we are not alone, but also shaken by the fact that there are so many other families out there who are dealing with this as well.
We scheduled the surgery, and tried to prep Max for it as best we could. Two weeks before the operation we met with Max's eye doctor and she answered many questions and showed us using a scale-model of an eye exactly where the muscles were located on the eye, and where they were going to be reattached. It was during this visit that Max realized his eyes were going to be cut. For a child that freaks out at the smallest scrape, this was not good news.
That night, as I was putting Max to bed he told me that he was scared. I tried to console him as best I could, telling him that he would be asleep during the surgery and wouldn't feel them cutting his eyes. I also told him that it was OK to be scared. It was normal. I reminded him that Shayla and I would be there the entire time, and we wouldn't let the doctors do anything to him that would hurt him. Naturally he was still apprehensive about the whole thing. I then reminded him that I had a tooth pulled a few months ago. I told him that this was also a surgery, and that I was scared for it as well. The doctors had to put stitches in my mouth, much like they would have to do for his eyes. He seemed to relax a little more when he realized that I had gone through a surgery as well, and knew a little bit about how he felt. I'm sure in his little five-year-old mind, his fear was much stronger than mine, not to mention that I think anybody would rather have tooth surgery than eye surgery.
As the day of the surgery crept closer, Max would often talk to us about being scared. Shayla promised him that if he was brave during the surgery we would take him to Chuck E. Cheese when his eyes had healed. This was a stroke of brilliance on Shayla's part. Max has been wanting to go to Chuck E. Cheese for quite some time now. One of his friends even gave him a game token from the restaurant which Max has carefully saved for an opportunity to use it. This promise gave Max something to look forward to, instead of just something to be scared of.
Max's dreaded day finally came. After dropping Isla off at her cousin's house we took Max to the hospital. We waited in the lobby for a few minutes before going back into an examining room. It's hard to know what's going through a child's mind, but Max was happy. He was still in his pajamas, he had his favorite blanket (HUGE thanks to Heather again for retrieving this blanket) and he had his stuffed dog, Harley. He was joking around with me and seemed to be enjoying himself.
| Waiting in the hospital lobby. |
| Preparing for surgery. |
On the day of his eye surgery, Max was wheeled into the operating room and was immediately and forcefully held in place by nurses as the anesthesiologist forced the mask over Max's little face and held it there as he struggled, cried, and fought against it. It made my heart break to see him fall asleep like this, and in the immediate rush by the medical staff I tried my best to be there with him, desperately trying to calm him down as the gas filled his lungs and he fell asleep. As I left the room I looked back and saw a sad expression frozen on his face as tears dropped from his cheeks onto the bed underneath him. Had the doctors explained to me before we went into the room what their plan of attack was, I could have told them that Max would sit on my lap and take the gas without a struggle. Instead, I think they were thinking to past experience with tough-to-sedate children, and their preferred method was not in line with what Max and I were expecting. I guess I can't blame the medical staff for their actions. Dealing with uncooperative children has probably led them to their methods. A personal touch and a brief consultation of how they were going to handle things would have gone along way, however. I hated leaving Max in the operating room on that final sad note.
Back in the examining room with Shayla and Wyatt I felt much better. I really do like Max's ophthalmologist and she would be performing the surgery. Unlike the hospital staff, she always took the time to explain things and answer questions. I knew that she cared for Max's vision and that he was in good hands.
We waited in that little room while Max's eyes were operated on. After about an hour-and-a-half I had to take a bathroom break. When I came back Max's doctor was in talking with Shayla. Max's surgery was finished and he would be waking up soon. She spoke to us about the post-op procedures and what to expect, and as she talked a nurse stood patiently and quietly at the door. After several minutes, the nurse finally spoke up and told us that Max was waking up and we needed to be there for him when we woke.
I rushed back to a small, dark recovery room with the nurse to find Max writhing on a bed, crying out for his dad to come get him. His eyes were shut tight and slightly swollen. Bloody tears stained his cheeks. I immediately rushed to his side to let him know I was there. Again, I wasn't very happy with the way the hospital staff had handled things. I found myself mentally asking why the nurse had stood silently by the door for so long when she knew Max was waking up in another room. She could have easily jumped into the conversation to let us know. I brushed my thoughts aside to focus on Max. I tried to pick him up to hold him, but another nurse, who had been there with Max while he had woken up, blurted out, "Oh no, you can't pick him up." I calmly said, "I'm his dad, I can hold him." The nurse then told me that I had to sit in a chair next to the bed and that he would lift Max out and hand him to me. I'm sure they have their rules they have to follow about moving patients, but as I sat in the chair while Max cried on the bed, I thought this was a bit overkill.
A few minutes later, Max was finally in my arms. He quickly calmed his screams down, although tears continued to stream from his eyes. As I held Max he told me that he wanted an ice pack to place over his eyes. I asked one of the nurses if they had any ice packs. "An ice pack?" she asked. "Yeah, an ice pack. Do you have one?" "He's not going to let you put an ice pack on his eyes", she retorted. I was beginning to get a bit irritated now that no matter what I said it seemed I was always being rebuffed. It was as if they knew my child and how to handle him better than I did. I told the nurse that Max had just asked me for an ice pack. "Oh, he did? Are you sure he wants one?" I asked Max, "Do you want and ice pack?" he nodded his head. "Oh, OK." said the nurse. "I'll get him an ice pack." The hospital's idea of an ice pack unfortunately wasn't what Max had in mind. They gave us a plastic bag filled with ice and covered with a towel. Max screamed when I placed it on his eyes and told me he didn't want that one. He wanted an "ice pack" that my mom had made for him just about a year ago. This ice pack is shaped like a bird and is filled with rice. When it is frozen the rice gets cold and the soft fabric is soothing against the skin. OK, I thought, let's get this kid home so we can get his ice pack. The nurses finished checking equipment and monitors and then we were moved into a wheelchair and wheeled down the hall to the room Shayla was waiting in.
Once in the room, Max was again hooked up to monitors as I held him on my lap. He cried and occasionally would kick and scream that his eyes hurt. It was painful to watch him like this. After about thirty minutes, we were out the door and on our way home. Immediately after leaving the hospital room, Max stopped crying. He still kept his eyes closed, but the tears stopped rolling down his cheeks. I think he slept for most of the thirty minute drive home.
![]() |
| Post-surgery. |
| Max and his ice pack. |
| Blindly opening his present. |
| Max (second from the right, without his hat) and his T-ball team getting ready for the parade. |
| After the parade, sitting with the team on the baseball outfield. |
That evening, just before dinner, Shayla asked Max, who had just been laying on the couch for most of the day, if he wanted to do anything. Max told her that he wanted to do a science experiment. When Shayla asked him what he had in mind, Max replied that he wanted to cook ketchup. Max's mom pulled out a pan, placed it over low heat on the stove, and let Max squeeze ketchup into it. Max stirred it and added a few other ingredients; banana peels, lime juice, salt and pepper, and strawberries. One of the strawberries had a long stem attached to it. On the other end of the stem hung a small, green strawberry. This is when Max finally opened his eyes. He didn't open them very wide, he was squinting as he looked, but a double strawberry was too tempting to not see.
| Max's double strawberry. |
Sunday was the next day, and when he woke he again didn't want to open his eyes. We let him sleep late, and so I stayed home with him while Shayla, Isla, and Wyatt went to church. After a few hours Max wanted to play with his Trio blocks, and he finally opened his eyes again.
A few of the movies he had "watched" while he was blind were rented and were movies he hadn't seen before. Now that he had his eyes open, he naturally wanted to watch them for real.
He is doing much better with his eyes now. He will still occasionally complain about sore eyes, but for the most part he seems fine. He does seem a bit more mellow than normal at times, and he seems to be very cognizant of his situation, being careful to not rub his eyes even though he really, really wants to. His eyes are very red, when we do get a chance to look at them, and it's easy to see that they are still in the healing process.
Max has handled the whole thing much better than I could have expected. I am amazed at his bravery and the maturity he has shown with dealing with the situation. He is very understanding of what has happened and knows why we had to do it. Of course he doesn't like it, and has told me a few times that, "We should have scheduled the surgery for 190 years!" but in the end I know he understands that his eyes will get better and that he will be able to see much better once he heals.
| Max, two days after surgery. |
I'm glad the surgery is over, and hope and pray that he continues to heal quickly and doesn't suffer any complications or setbacks. I hope we made the right choice, and that his vision will be much better for him throughout the rest of his life. Decisions like this are never easy. If it was left up to Max, he probably would have just gone on without the surgery, but I hope that years from now, he will be thankful that he has had it.

6 comments:
I hope I never have to experience anything like that with my kids but if I do hopefully they will be as good about it as Max was. It must have been rough. You can ask Moe, when it comes to my eyes, I cannot tolerate even the littlest pain or discomfort.
Ugg. I hate surgeries. Not that the ones we've been through with James is anywhere compared to what you guys had to deal with Max. My heart broke for Max reading this. He sounds like he is quite the trooper though and is doing well!
How sad. I think you guys have met your medical quota for the year. You can probably stop now. ha.
Max is so lucky to have you both as parents. What a great post for him to read later and know how much love his mom and dad have for him. It brought tears to my eyes in some of the parts. I am glad it is over with for you and hopefully over with for good. Praying those eyes catch on quickly.
Max: Get feeling better soon! we can't wait to see you and a couple of months! (Maybe the doctors put superhuman powers in your eyes when they cut into them... you never know!)
If you ever think about changing careers you should try writing. I have tears streaming down my cheeks. What a tender story about a father and son. I am so glad Max is doing well. Thank you for sharing. I would thank you for writing such an awesome post, but I can't right now because I am crying too hard.
Max is a superhero! I'm so glad this story has a happy ending, because it sounds SO difficult, and I can barely stand the thought of Max being pinned down screaming while they sedated him. I had to pin down Aaron once to do allergy skin testing and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I can only imagine how heart wrenching that was! I hope everything continues to improve for him! He is so brave
Max is such a trooper! He looks great! I hope you don't think that all nurses are so terrible! I also get what you mean about the staff not talking to Max. That was McKenna's biggest pet peeve when she had her brain tumor! We both loved the staff that would come in and talk just to her!
Post a Comment