Saturday, December 24, 2011

Meet Sparky


This is Sparky. He's our elf. Sparky came to us a few weeks before Christmas. He brought a book with him, which was good 'cuz he's under orders from Santa to not talk to us. At all. He never said a word the whole time he was here. The book told us all about him.

Sparky watches over us during the day, and each night he returns to the North Pole to tell Santa if we've been naughty or nice. I know he looks like a toy, but he's not. This elf is real. If you don't believe me, just ask Max or Isla. Or Wyatt. Wyatt can't talk to us either, but I think he has some sort of non-talk code that he and Sparky use to communicate.

When Sparky first arrived at our home, he would hang out in different places. Usually up high, because we aren't allowed to touch him either. If humans touch elves, they lose their Christmas magic and won't be able to fly back to the North Pole each night.

Sparky did leave us a couple notes, so even though he couldn't talk to us, he could write letters. There were a couple letters to remind us to be good, and a couple letters telling us that Santa was very happy because we were being very good.

Isla loves this elf. He is the first thing she looks for in the morning. She tells everyone about him too. The bishop during tithing settlement, the checker at Target, other random people she's never met before. She doesn't however, like to get too close to this elf. One time, when Sparky was hiding on the ceiling fan in her bedroom, I lifted Isla up so she could get a closer look. Ever since, every time I pick Isla up, even in we are in a room where Sparky is not, she will tell me, "Don't put me up to the elf." If I'm holding her and we walk into the room where Sparky is, she will tell me, "I need to get down now." And she will scramble out of my arms as quickly as she can.

Max also has become quite attached to little Sparky. He will talk to him, telling the elf what he would like for Christmas. One time, when Sparky was in touching distance, Max told Shayla while reaching his finger out close to the elf, "I could touch him mom. But I won't. I don't want his magic to leave." Max made a little gingerbread house for Sparky. Sparky made one for Max. Max also made a small paper snowflake for his elf-friend.

A day after Max broke Shayla's sewing machine after she had repeatedly asked Max to stop playing with it (an event which actually made Sparky leave during the day), we received a tiny letter in the mail from Sparky's friend, Ju-Jubee. He simply asked us to be nice and listen to our mom and dad.

During the last few weeks, Sparky has become a great friend. He's a fun part of our lives and it will be sad to see him go. He leaves on Christmas Eve, and won't return until next year. We are glad he showed up at our house, and hope he will keep coming for many years to come.










Max and Sparky, making S'mores.

Sparky's gingerbread house.

Sparky toilet papered our living room and kitchen. 

A little elf, hanging on the end of the roll.

Sparky made lots (and lots) of paper airplanes, and then he took Max's spaceship for a spin.



Letters from an elf.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Sparky has a friend named Bobby that came to check on our kids this year! He sure does cause a bit of mischief eh!

Maybury said...

I love it! I will need to find a Sparky elf for next year. It is a fun tradition.