Thursday, October 15, 2009

Victory or Death! - Day 4


Today we woke up in our plush hotel room, rested and ready for the new day! Yeah right! Isla was up all night, thinking that she was hungry and needed to be fed every three hours, and Max is still battling his slight head cold. Needless to say, the night didn't go quite as well as we would have liked.

We left our hotel and headed for downtown San Antonio. After about thirty minutes, we found ourselves at the Alamo! The Alamo is an important part of Texas and American history and it was cool to go see where men like Davey Crockett and James Bowie fought and died.

After the Alamo, we loaded back into the truck and headed off to Houston! Let's just say that Houston is huge. It's the fourth largest city in the United States, and they have the traffic to back it up! As luck would have it, we landed in Houston right at 5:00 pm. Rush hour. We jumped from freeway to business loop to highway and back to freeway in a vain effort to escape the bumper to bumper traffic. We also stopped for dinner at Chili's for two hours hoping that traffic would clear up. Nope. Two hours later, it was still pretty bad.

When we finally made it to our hotel, we got things settled, went for a swim in the pool, and then called it a night! San Antonio to Houston has been the shortest leg of our trip so far. Today's four hour drive was a welcome change from yesterday's 9 hours!

Shayla & Isla at the Alamo

Me, Max, and Isla at the Alamo.

Houston has a serious obsession with bridges. I don't think I've ever seen so many bridges in one place before. There were bridges over rivers, bridges over roads, and bridges over bridges!

Houston traffic. We were moving along at a steady 10 mph right about here!

2 comments:

Sam said...

REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!!!

Can I just say that I'm jealous of your travels across the states. Although, I would rather stay in one area for seven days and not seven areas in one week!

I'm reading all of this a few days late, so you are probably already in Virginia! I hope the road has been smooth.

Carr Family said...

I think you have your historical characters mixed up. I believe that it was James Crocket and David Bowie who were at the Alamo. Bowie must have survived because he later appeared in famous films, such as Laberynth and Zoolander, as well as having a modestly succesful career as a musical artist.