Monday, May 20, 2013

My Grandpa Losee



Glen Losee
December 8, 1918  ~  April 13, 2013

My Grandpa passed away on April 13th. I was so glad that I was able to attend his funeral. My sister Shelli and I were able to fly out together, I also took Wyatt along since he can still fly for free. It was a bit crazy getting there. We missed a connecting flight by 2 minutes. It was very frustrating, especially since I was running down through the airport to try to get there. Just picture a 7 month pregnant lady, pushing a stroller with a toddler, with a backpack on and pulling a piece of luggage behind ( I was also barefoot so that I could run faster).  Shelli had run ahead to tell them to wait, while I waited for the bags. but despited our efforts they still shut the door in Shelli's face and I showed up 2 minutes later.  There were still people in the walkway to the plane but they still wouldn't let us on. Let's just say never fly with US airways they were very rude and not very accommodating.  They did put us up for the night, but only because we had a toddler and I was pregnant. Anyway we finally got to St. George the next day (4/18). We were very happy to be there with our family!


That night we were able to go out to dinner at Benja Thai with the 5 sisters.                 

Wyatt loved the Thai food!
The next day Wyatt and I were able to meet up with Grandma Wells and Steve and Rory. I was glad that Elizabeth ended up being in St. George at the same time as us! We had a great time at the Main Street park.






That night we hung out on the front steps at my parents house with most of my siblings and ate some ice cream from schwans. It is one of my favorite things to do while at my parents house. 


The next day was my Grandpa's funereal in Delta, Ut. It was a very nice funereal and it was so neat to have the American Legion there to honor him as a true military hero.  My Grandpa served in the Army in Europe under General Patton. He awarded the Purple Heart and a Silver Star. 


Who needs a hearse?
My Dad restored my Grandpa's old tractor a few years ago.
It was seemed a perfect way to take me Grandpa to his final resting place.


All 36 of us grandkids were and at the funeral. We came from all over the country to be there. We decided that that is the first and most likely the last time that we would all be together. 


My Parents and Siblings, and some of the spouses.




After the funeral we went over to my Grandpa's house one last time. 
Not much has changed over the years. I took some pictures while I was there but I also added some photo's from the last time we visited in 2009.
This is a picture I took while I was there.

This one is from 2009

Grandpa's house 2009



Wyatt loved playing with all of Grandpa's tractors!

Max playing with the same tractors in 2009

Grandpa's Arrowhead collection.
This is a puzzel that my Grandma bought for me to play with when I was little. I was kind of excited to see it again, and ended up bringing it home with me. I also have one of my Grandma's dolls that I got after she died, and I have an old hatchet that Bob and I found on the farm in 2009. When we asked Grandpa if we could have it he said.... What would you want that old thing for (imagine him saying it like eeyore from winnie the pooh)?
 It is sitting on a shelf in our living room now.
My Grandpa in 2009

Grandpa's stairs 2009

My last time at the hardpan 2009

Hardpan at night 2009



Max at the Sunday morning picnic in 2009

visiting the train tracks in 2009
One of my favorite memories of my Grandpa was when Bob and Max and I went to visit him in 2007. We were headed to the little sahara sand dunes and decided to stay the night at Grandpa's house. That night We stayed up talking to Grandpa and listening to his war stories and he showed us his medals. He received the Purple Heart after being shot in the head. I remember asking him if he had kept his helmet  that he had on at the time and he replied... Why would I keep it? It had a hole in it.
After we had gone to bed I heard a knock at the bedroom door,  and Grandpa asked if we needed a night light for Max.  The next morning Grandpa made us breakfast consisting of chicken nuggets and toast. He was a bit embarrassed when he realized that the toast was all moldy.
I love my Grandpa! He was such a Great Man. I will miss him, but I am happy for him and the reunion that he has had with my Grandma and all of his family that went before!




On Sunday we went over to my parents house and hung out with with everyone. My parents had been busy with the funeral before so it was nice to have a day to spend with them. 
Wyatt playing on the trampoline with Bree. He tried to copy everything she did.

Wyatt loved exploring Sharla's house and chasing all of the kitty's.

Wyatt became fast friends with Harley.

Hanging out in the back yard. My other favorite place at my Mom's house

He loved the tire swing.
My parents took us to the airport early Monday morning. luckily we had a great flight home. Wyatt was such a trooper through all of our travels and slept most of the way home.
Wyatt loved opening and closing the shades on windows.


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

A very touching tribute to your Grandfather. The tractor was awesome. What a great memory.

Heather Wells said...

How sweet about your grandpa. I wish we could have seen you while you were here in Utah. Looked like a fun trip (minus the dumb airline people. they obviously have never traveled with a kid - and pregnant - before!)