Monday, May 9, 2011

We're going on a bear hunt!

On April 29th we packed up the car with camping supplies and headed for Green Briar State Park. We decided to take a little detour through Harpers Ferry for some Ice Cream.




After we finished our Ice Cream we continued on to our destination and met up with our friends Brad and Alicia and their daughter Mae. We set up camp and enjoyed the rest of the evening. Mae and Max went to work digging in the dirt.


While Isla sat back and relaxed

This is the only picture I have of Brad and Alicia

I have to get a picture of Max with his truck every time we go camping.

Mae and Isla, I think they are trying to make a bridge

Now it is a slide


That night we put the kids to bed and went back out to sit by the fire. When we came back into the tent we found Isla sleeping like this.

This picture just makes me laugh.

What is that you say?
Only the best new treat that Brad and Alicia introduced to us.
Cinnamon Orange rolls.
simply carve out an orange, place a doughy cinnamon roll (the kind you buy in a can) inside. Wrap in Tin Foil and place on top of hot coals. cook for 12 minutes and Ta Da. Fresh Cinnamon Orange rolls in the great outdoors.


Max walking across his bridge


On Saturday after breakfast we headed over to the lake to play in the sand. The kids were mostly interested in the water though. And despite the cold winds they all ended up getting into their swimsuits after their clothes and gotten soaked.







Max was so proud to show us the fish he caught

When we got back to camp the dads took the kids on a little hike.





Brad and Alicia left late that afternoon while we stayed for another night.

Bob and Max chopping fire wood

Trying really hard to build a fire. They finally got it going after a while.

Dinner time



Max's creation

Isla working hard around camp

Smores

Life just doesn't get better than this

The End!

A few days later Max learned the "We're going on a bear hunt" song at school. So on our way home from school he asked if we could stop at the park and go on a bear hunt. I said sure, and off we went. walking on the paved trails, through the brush and trees and then through the cave (tunnel), When I told Max it was time to head home he was seriously upset and disappointed that we hadn't found a bear. I thought that we were just playing around but Max had been serious about his bear hunt and was really sad when I told him that bears did not live here.
I guess we will have to take another trip to Alaska so that Max can go on a bear hunt.

3 comments:

Heather Wells said...

Adorable kids and what a fun thing to do - although it does look cold but it looked like you had the place to yourself. Nice. :)

Koko's mom said...

Great adventure. I loved the pictures.

Elizabeth said...

The orange cinnamon roll sounds yummy. Funny story about the bear hunt. Children can be so literal.