After walking around for about ten minutes, Shayla and the kids were done. Sweat dripping down their faces, they retreated to the air-conditioned truck and left me to fend for myself in the muggy heat.
Armed with GPS and my stupid determination to not let a silly little hidden treasure box elude me I pressed on, bushwhacking through vines and trees, side-stepping poison ivy and prickly briers, fighting the sweat dripping into my eyes and triple checking the coordinates on the GPS.
After thirty minutes or so, I retreated back to the truck myself, ashamed that I had been beaten by the hidden geocache. I wasn't about to give up so easily however. We switched locations and looked for another hidden container at a nearby shopping center. We paused for a bit to cool down and bought a couple smoothies from one of the shops in the center. While Shayla and Isla hung back, Max and I ventured out to find the cache.
Again, it just wasn't meant to be. The heat and humidity were bearing down on us and we were once again forced to retreat to the truck empty-handed.
Fast-forward a couple weeks. It was now overcast, the rain from the day before had cooled things down, and the humidity was noticeably lower . It was a perfect day for geocaching!
While Shayla and Isla took afternoon naps, Max and I once again headed out in search of treasure. This time, we were much more successful! We found all four caches we looked for, including the two that had eluded us two weeks earlier.
Max loved finding the hidden containers. He had brought along a bag of small toys so he could trade them for others tucked inside the containers. He was always excited to see what was inside.
I think we might have to head out on a few more geocaching adventures. Max has even asked if we can go again a couple of times. In the future though, we'll have to make sure it's not quite so hot outside!
1 comment:
What a great family activity. I've often thought it would be fun to do. Love the look on Max's face.
Post a Comment